Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Sweetest Sound

October 10, 2011 – Here we come!  That’s our estimated due date based on how OUR BABY was measuring at our first ultrasound!  What a day.

While we only probably had to sit in the waiting room for about five minutes, it felt like fifty.  My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty, and my hub was looking at me like I was crazy.  “You’ve got to calm down!” he told me.  Man, I don’t know how he stays so relaxed and peaceful, but I sure am glad to have him around.

So we went into the scan room and got ready, I laid down on the table and said a prayer.  And then… we saw it.  Our baby.  Our tiny, tiny, raspberry-sized little life.  And the perfect, precious flicker of a heartbeat in the middle of it’s chest.  Oh.My.Goodness.

         I am really pregnant.

This is a moment I will remember for the rest of my life.  I looked over at my hub, who was also in awe, and when I looked back at the screen, a tear ran down my cheek.  “Hi!” I thought inside my head.  “It’s so nice to see you!  I’ve been feeling you rock my world lately, but that’s okay – You do whatever you need to do to my body to grow and stay healthy.  I’m all yours.”

And then, it got even better.  “Beat – Beat – Beat – Beat.”  There was its heartbeat.  We could hear the heartbeat inside of me, the tiny little raspberry had a heartbeat.  And it is the sweetest sound I have ever heard.

It all seemed to go by too quickly, but luckily my doctor’s office is awesome and gives you not only ultrasound pictures, but a dvd – so you can watch it as much as you want!

         I won’t admit the number of times I’ve stared at our little one.


So, the other best part about this past week?  We finally got to tell the rest of our family!!!!!!!  My sister, her husband, and their son came in town on Thursday night, which was going to be the start of us finally spilling the beans.  I had a present for my nephew, so as soon as they got here, I told them I had something for him to open.  They walked into the back bedroom, and I had a little chalkboard with magnetic letters spelling out, “A Cousin.”  They got it right away, and were so excited!!  The coolest part of it all was that my sister had hoped we’d start trying soon, so she brought a baby gift to hide somewhere in our house so that when we did get pregnant, she would already have a gift here for us!  How cool is that!!

Then we started sending a picture of the sonogram via text to various family members.  My little sister, stepbrother and stepsister, and TJ’s sisters.  The calls started coming in, and it was so awesome.  Talk about feeling loved, and supported, and RELIEVED to have those closest to you in on the secret!!  If seeing our little one on the ultrasound screen didn’t make it feel real enough, having people know surely helps.


So while we’d hoped to try to keep it a secret from the entire world until we are out of the first trimester, I’m not sure I can keep it in anymore.  I want to stand on top of the tallest building, and shout it out to the world – I’M GONNA BE A MOM!  So I think the tentative plan now is to fill in my school at a staff meeting this week, and the rest of my friends, and – from there – I’m sure the news will get out to the rest of the world.

It all still feels like a dream… But whenever I need to be reminded that it’s really happening, all I have to do is pop in that dvd, and there he/she is…


We started the weekly belly pics!  Here I am at 8 weeks... No bump to speak of, just a little bloat!




No comments:

Post a Comment