Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Kindness Inspires Kindness 2.0

Two years ago I was in a very dark place, struggling with our fertility issues and pregnancy losses and just generally in a funk.  I did some soul-searching and stumbled upon the blog of a girl who did a huge project she titled Kindness Inspires Kindness.  I knew right then and there that it was exactly what my heart needed - to focus on doing good for others - to put others before myself - to try to make a difference, albeit a small one, in the lives of those around me.

The icing on the cake was that I could teach CK all about the word kindness, what it means, and why it is so important and something I want her to be conscious of every single day of her life.

So in November of 2013, our own version of the Kindness Inspires Kindness project was born. (And omigosh can you even handle two-year-old Cameron in that video?!) 

And y'all, we had so much fun.  It was absolutely one of my favorite memories as a mama, and it was the perfect time of year, too... we tend to get so wrapped up in ourselves during the holiday season, concerned with present-buying and present-receiving - and this reminded us to focus on and enjoy the little things while spreading kindness around our little corner of the world.

I promised myself we'd do it again; unfortunately, last fall we were adjusting to life as a family of four and I dropped the ball with getting it going.

BUT.

Here we are!  We're back!  And so stinking excited to begin our second round of Kindness Inspires Kindness, and this time with a four-year-old CK who truly understands what it means and why we're doing it (and a one-year-old E who is just along for the ride!).

We've kicked off this year's edition by looking at pictures and videos from our 2013 project, which has been so fun.  And we've also been having lots and lots and lots of conversations about kindness, putting others first, giving during the holiday season, being thankful, etc.  Especially with Thanksgiving coming up - which just so happens to be my most favorite holiday of all.  And our first two tasks were simple, but a great way to get started.  We donated to the 9th Annual LW Rutland Thanksgiving Food Drive and I'd love if you did the same!  This is something my sister and her husband's family are involved in every year, meeting up in Aiken, SC, to work to get food to so many families who otherwise wouldn't have a Thanksgiving dinner.

The second way we got started was by filling up our first ever Operation Christmas Child box!  CK absolutely loved this and had such a giving heart while we accomplished this task, often feeling frustrated that we couldn't fit more things into the box and also telling me we need to go get a box to fill up for a little boy, too.  Yes, my sweet girl, yes we do.

I have a whole list of tasks we hope to accomplish throughout the holiday season as we focus on kindness and giving, and will post all of the ways we attempted to inspire kindness when our project is complete.  Also, I'll document some of our Kindness Inspires Kindness adventures on Instagram, so make sure to follow along! (@jmpeele)

I am so, so excited about this!!  If we inspire even one act of kindness, it will have been a success. <3

"But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." (Galatians 5:22)

"Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart." (Proverbs 3:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment