Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Let's Be Honest


Motherhood is not all rainbows and giggles.

It’s tough work.

It’s work that often requires little to no sleep, boogers, tears, fussiness, and poop – lots of poop – and not just in a diaper… (In my own experience, we’ve had it on walls, the floor, the tub, the car seat, toys, her hands, my hands, my hair… the list goes on.)

I’m typing this post because someone recently said to me, “I love seeing pictures of Cameron Kate… She’s ALWAYS smiling!”

Which made me laugh out loud.

Oh, wouldn’t motherhood be a BREEZE if she was always smiling!

Truth is, there are plenty of tears, and fussy times, and tough days, and moments when I hand her to my hub and just say, “Here!”.  There are anxiety stricken days and times when I overanalyze and worry about every.little.thing.

Of COURSE I don’t usually blog about those or post pictures like this.










But I don’t ever want anyone to think that I portray motherhood as being easy.  While my little girl is typically happy, fiercely independent, and somewhat easy-going, I do not have a magic baby who is always predictable or go-with-the-flow.

This is the hardest job I’ve ever had.  We have had our fair share of sleepless nights and plenty of times spent tending to a screaming baby.

And just as each age brings more fun, it can also bring more difficulty.

Like right now… the teething… the separation anxiety… the new high-pitched whine when she doesn’t get what she wants… the hesitancy toward strangers... the wrestling match when it's time to change a diaper or get dressed.

But man do I love her.

Regardless, the hard times are – well – hard.  And can really try your patience.  And as absolutely THRILLED as I am to be home with my girl for the next eight weeks, it’s not going to be easy.  My maternity leave taught me that being a stay-at-home-mom can be as exhausting as it is rewarding.

While I always try to be blatantly honest in this blog, I’m usually focused on highlighting the positive and happy times.  Though as we inch toward toddler-hood, I’m sure I’ll be writing a little less about rainbows and giggles, and a little more about diaper explosions and tantrums.

Bring on the poop!

No comments:

Post a Comment