Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Expertise of 5- and 6-Year-Olds


          Conversation with a 1st Grader (Tyiesha):
          “Mrs. Peele… Can I tell you something?”
         “Sure!”
         “I hear when you have that baby, it’s gonna hurt.”

            Conversation between three 1st Graders:
“How are they gonna get the baby out?”
“All you gotta do is push!”
“No, they cut it out!”
“With scissors?  Ewwww!!!”

             A matter-of-fact statement from a Kindergartener:
“Mrs. Peele, but why don’t you know if it’s a boy or a girl?  All they have to do is put a machine up to you and look for boy private parts or girl private parts.”

         Interesting information from a Kindergartener:
         “My mom is pregnant, and it was a boy, but now it’s a girl.”
          My response?  “Wow, that’s a miracle!”
          His classmate’s response (a fellow five-year-old):  “That’s just weird.”

Oh the joys of working in an elementary school when you’re nine months pregnant.  (Or should I say ten months pregnant, because if you think about it, 40 weeks is MORE than nine months, people.)  If you can’t tell, I’ve been teaching in 1st Grade and Kindergarten classes for the past week, and there’s never a dull moment when the kids realize you’re pregnant.  While I try to keep the pregnancy comments/questions to a minimum (because, let’s face it, you never know what will come out of a five- or six-year-old’s mouth), some manage to slip in their expertise and knowledge on all things baby.

The funny thing is, if you’ve ever been pregnant, you know that sporting a baby bump means every human being on the planet wants to tell you every little thing they experienced or know about being pregnant – from funny stories, to horror stories, to constant pieces of advice you don’t necessarily care to hear, to their opinions on how you look or how you’re handling pregnancy – so in all honesty, it’s much more refreshing to take in pregnancy tidbits from these students. J

In case anyone is counting, we’re now in SINGLE DIGITS – single digits in terms of how many days I have left at work, and single digits in terms of how far away I am from my due date!!!!!  I’m trying not to get my hopes up about the latter, since most first-time moms go PAST their due dates.  But omigosh if I have to be this pregnant for much longer I swear this baby is going to burst out of my belly button.

We had a good, but uneventful 38-week checkup this week.  Just the standard weight (yikes!), blood pressure, pee in a cup, heartbeat checks.  By the way, you’d think that after peeing in about 27 cups since January I’d be an expert, but I can NEVER do it without peeing on my hand.  What the heck?!

Anyway, I told the doctor I’ve been very crampy and feeling pressure, and he said those were good signs and if I want him to he’ll check me next week to see if there’s any progress.  I’m sort of on the fence about the whole being checked thing – you can show ZERO progress and go into labor an hour later, or walk around three centimeters dilated for weeks.  I don’t really want to get my hopes up or down, but dangit, I’m curious!

When we made our 39-week appointment, the doctor said, “Hopefully you won’t need it!”  As the days pass me by, it looks like I’ll need it after all.  And as I’ve said, I definitely want our little one to stay in this mama-to-be as long as he/she needs to – I’m just ready to meet him/her… like now. J

I definitely struggled at work this week.  Mondays through Wednesdays are normally tolerable, but by the end of the week I am DUNZO.  This past week I was in charge of our Curriculum Night on Thursday, which equaled a 13-hour workday for a very pregnant lady.  I ALMOST didn’t make it to work on Friday, but I sucked it up and trekked through the day, only to be even more miserable and swollen that night.
 Gross #1
 Gross #2
Gross #3

Yep, those are pics of my ankles/feet with an indention where I pressed my finger for a mere 5 seconds.  Now, I have pretty skinny ankles and feet in my normal, non-pregnant life.  So seeing this fluid retention and swelling is CRAZINESS.  Thus, minus a few trips up and down the stairs for laundry and a trip to the grocery store, I parked my big butt on the couch all day on Saturday in an attempt to combat the swelling.  I’m feeling much better, just in time to start my last week of work.  I’m hopeful that this week will go by quickly, but that’s doubtful.  Maybe I won’t last the whole week… (You hear that, Baby Peele?!)

We started a pool at work where people guess the bug's sex, birth date, and birth weight, and I have to say it’s been interesting to see what people think.  Last time I checked, I think 5 out of the 15 people who’ve wagered the obligatory dollar so far think it’s a boy, with the rest predicting girl.  The earliest birth date guess was today (not looking likely!) with the latest being my own prediction of October 11th.  We’ll see!!!

I’ve tried to be on my feet most of today in hopes that it’ll help my progress.  I had a few painful contractions on Friday evening, but nothing consistent or predictable.  I had another couple yesterday, and so far one today that almost stopped me in my tracks at Costco… but that’s about it.  Now the hub and I are going to take the pup for a walk, and then I’ll be back to counting down the days, hours, and minutes left ‘til the end of the work week and our little one’s arrival.

You see, Tyiesha, at this point, I don’t really care how much it’s going to hurt to have this baby.  Bring it on.
 HOLY MOLY... Hub and I just did a quick picture change between this tummy shot and my pic from 4 weeks ago.  YIKES.  Baby, or should I say Toddler Peele is growing for sure.  Also, for what it's worth, everyone keeps telling me I've dropped!  Including the doctor!  WOOHOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment