Friday, April 3, 2020

Currently

It has been almost an entire year since I wrote a "Currently" blog post, and since the current state of my life (quarantined as the only adult in my house with three small children and a full-time job to maintain) has turned my brain into mush, I decided the best way to get my typing fingers back into blog mode was a fun, mindless, Currently post.  Andplusalso, what a weird time in our lives which equals a fitting time to document a snapshot of what's Currently going on in the Chapter of my life I'd like to call THE ONE WHERE I'M TRAPPED AND NOT UNHAPPY BUT ALSO DROWNING.
{forehead wrinkles courtesy of these two boys}
 Loving... these M&Ms, my secret stash of Cadbury eggs, allllllll the usually banned, quarantine snacks in my house, and my midday iced coffee (#3pmcaffeineboost #helpmeJesus).
Reading... Jen Hatmaker's newest book, Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire.  But wait - it's not available for purchase yet?!  Soooooo here's the thing - in a streak of absolute incredible luck and good fortune, I applied to be a part of her book launch team AND I WAS CHOSEN.  Which means I got an advanced copy and I get to communicate with my favorite author of all time and help spread the word about her amazing new book because it really is absolutely amazing.  So, preorder it now.  And thank me later.

Waiting for... His provision, His timing, His signs.  #4610

Excited about... SPRING BREAK.  Can I get an Amen?!  I'm not sure I've ever looked forward to a break ever in my life ever ever ever.

Trying to... squeeze in workouts any and every way I can during all of this social distancing mess.  (See: LOVING above.)  Y'all know I need to run and exercise like I need to breathe.  It is so therapeutic for me, and other than actually seeing my therapist, it is the #1 way I work through my big thoughts and even bigger feelings.  So, take away my gym and my freedom to run and I basically  melt into a puddle of woe is me.  Enter videos and gracious neighbors who will sit on my porch while my kids are napping so I can squeeze in a run and driveway workouts like the one below (which I basically triple and run up and down the driveway and almost die).  So, any other tips and hints you have for me to get my workout on in a creative way amidst a life of quarantine would be greatly appreciated!

Working on... giving myself grace, and more grace, and a little more grace during a time when I am putting so much pressure on myself to do ALL the things. 
Enjoying... spending so much face-time with my trio.  Don't get me wrong - I have lost my patience and taken so many deep breaths and cried and been so frustrated trying to figure out how to manage them + my job + life in general.  BUT.  I feel like I have gotten to know my CK, E, and 'Boosey so so much in the past three weeks.  I have seen new sides of their personalities, I have laughed so hard at their shenanigans, I have learned so much about their academic strengths and struggles... and while it is certainly not all rainbows and sunny days over here, these three bring a whole lot of sunshine.

Watching... Ozark Season 3 FINALLY!  Annnnnnnd perhaps just maybe a tiny bit of Tiger King.

Using... more technology than I ever have in my life.  And feeling SO thankful for it.  I'm honestly not sure I would be emotionally okay without my daily Google Meet teaching sessions with my work wife and our third-graders.  They give me LIFE.  And now that we know we will be teaching virtually for the remainder of the year (insert broken heart emoji), I am even more thankful for the ways I can push myself to connect with and make them smile from a distance.  (Like yesterday, when I busted out my high school cheerleader pom-pom during our live session. #noshame)

Wearing... no makeup for perhaps the most days in a row ever ever.  I tried at first, I really did.  A little concealer here, some mascara there.  But I waved the white flag and gave up.  So I apologize in advance to those who have to see my face during The Quarantine of 2020.

Planning... to maybe, possibly, watch a YouTube video to give my daughter's scraggly, rat's nest hair a homemade haircut.  Prayer request.

Singing... nothing that anyone can hear.  #yourewelcome ... BUT my current favorite song is Bones by Maren Morris and I will sing it as loud as I want (in the shower and in the car, by myself, thankyouverymuch).

Needing... to tackle sooooooo many projects around the house.  And it seems like maybe that would be easy to do, seeing as we're all stuck at home for the foreseeable future.  But good gracious by the time the day is over I am about one million percent more exhausted than I was back in Chapter Normal Life, and I basically collapse into sleep before Groundhog Day starts all over again.

Listening to... Monica and Jess Love Boys.  Ok, so.  I'm obsessed with podcasts, and one of my favorites is Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard.  Well, his cohost Monica broke off to do her own bonus podcast with her BFF and it has very quickly become one I am always looking forward to hearing!

Learning... so much about my trio during dinner when we sit at the table and pass around Table Topics.  Even with little kids, these cards provoke the most interesting, insightful, hilarious, inspiring conversations and make me look forward to dinnertime when - let's face it - dinner time with three littles can be more frustrating than enjoyable.  These are worth every penny and I highly HIGHLY recommend!  There are all different versions, so find one that works for you and Amazon Prime it asap!

Doing... a whole lot of reading, journaling, soul-searching.  While this pause from normalcy has been hard and insane and stressful and worrisome, it has also forced me to explore so many parts of my head and of my heart.  And I can only hope that in the future, in retrospect, there are parts of this chapter of my life that I will remember as times that gave me a new, clean, fresh perspective on love, on faith, and on this beautifully chaotic life that is authentically mine. <3

Wishing... I could bottle up my kids' innocence, joy, and imaginations.  During a time when the world outside of our four caving in walls is so uncertain and surreal, my trio has been resilient and joyful and happy.  Don't get me wrong -- they are driving each other (AND ME) absolutely crazy a lot of the times.  But.  I have also watched them soak in every minute they have to just appreciate and enjoy what is right here inside of our safe place.  Like... two days ago...  When Cameron came in and begged for a pair of scissors to "cut the grass."  I rolled my eyes and told her sure but made her promise to keep them out of the hands of her brothers.  About an hour later, she practically dragged me into the depths of our backyard to show me where she and Everette had cut off branches and "pokey leaves" to carve out a secret fort under a bush.  "We're besties now, Mama!" they exclaimed.  Into their fort, they had transported their picnic table, Everette's life saber, and a Target bag full of Brooks' favorite Paw Patrol toys ("They're in a bag in case it rains, Mommy") and they were just so happy and content and lost in their world of absolutely no limits.  And as a mama who dreams big and loves hard and feels all the feelings, I knew right then and there that this precious moment would live in the walls of my heart for all the rest of my days.

Dreaming of... Honestly?  A big, celebratory, hug-filled, loud, ridiculously happy reunion with my work wife and all of our students.  I always knew I loved my job, but there's nothing that'll make you appreciate it more than having it unexpectedly ripped out of your hands.  I cannot WAIT until we are able to celebrate how hard our students have worked all year long, especially in the middle of this virtual learning period during which our students and their parents are inspiring me more than they'll ever know!!
...And with that, it's time to put the work-from-home, teach-my-kids-at-home insanity away for an entire week.  Happy Spring Break from my trio and me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment