Friday, February 21, 2014

What NOT to Say...

In light of my last post, I thought now was a good time to post what NOT to say to someone diagnosed with infertility, be it primary or secondary.

First, though, I have to say that I have been incredibly overwhelmed by the love, support, thoughts, and prayers we've received as I've been very open and honest about our struggle.

But...

There are always a few little nuggets of advice that come your way that make you cringe.

I never let those little nuggets get to me, or at least I try not to... because I know that the world of infertility, and especially secondary infertility, are tricky to understand if you're on the outside looking in.  Most people want to help and support and offer words of advice, but just don't know what to say.  It's not like we're dying, or have been diagnosed with some horrific cancer... but yet, we have been diagnosed with what is considered a disease of some sort... a diagnosis that leaves us feeling pretty defeated and hopeless and jealous and resentful and sad and scared.

So...

My friend Courtney over at her blog did a post awhile back, about what NOT to say to someone dealing with infertility.  Except, she put it in terms of what you wouldn't say to someone who is paraplegic.  Pretty clever, and pretty eye-opening, in my opinion.

Enjoy.

And also, thank you thank you thank you for coming to this little corner of the internet, for continuing to read about our journey, for supporting me through thoughts and prayers, for letting me feel brave enough to be honest about our struggles.  I will forever be humbled by the opportunity to be so open on here and to receive such love and kindness from you guys throughout all of this...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment