Monday, May 28, 2012

3 Things

True story.

I was a waitress for a number of years throughout high school and college.  I learned a lot of things - how to balance three plates across my arm at one time, how they make the tea SO sweet, how to use the lemon slicer, and how to roll up the silverware.  However, the most profound lesson I learned came from a scraggly old man who asked for a table for one.

I remember the day so clearly.

It was a slow lunch, and the hostess had taken a break.  So when he walked in the door, I took it upon myself to welcome him.

He was the kind of man who intimidates you at first.

He towered over me - and I'm a pretty tall drink of water!  He had holes in his clothes, an unshaven face, and dirt under his fingernails.  His voice was low, creepy.  But, he was nice enough.  "Table for one?"  He asked.

That was about all he said, other than placing his order.

He ate quietly and asked for the bill.  When he handed me his completed check, he said the following:

"I've left you a tip.  But I've got another tip for you... In life, you only need three things to make you happy:  someone to love, something to do, and something to look forward to."

Then he got up, and walked out.

Weird, I thought.  But for the rest of the day, his advice ran on repeat in my head.

And about 11 years later, I've always remembered his words.

It's true, if you think about it.  What more can we ask for in life, other than someone to love, something to do, and something to look foward to?  Life gets crazy, and overwhelming, and out-of-control - but at the end of the day, if we focus on these three things, we can feel full. 

And happy. 

And complete.


My loves:

And I definitely have plenty "to do's":

And I have SO MUCH to look forward to:

No comments:

Post a Comment