Sunday, February 26, 2012

Grandparents

There’s nothing quite like the love of a grandparent.

I remember going to Grandma and Grandpa’s.  I remember sliding down the stairs on egg-crate mattresses, playing “roly-poly” downstairs, my brother shooting us across the room off of his feet, attempting to simulate what we called the “bubblegum machine.”

I remember dressing up in Grandma’s clothes, putting on plays that we swore were Oscar-worthy, playing card games until the wee hours of the morning.

I remember searching around outside for lizards, and the cage my Grandpa built me so I could take home my new pets.

I remember how my Grandma and Grandpa always had grapefruits and the cool little ridged spoons made just for eating the fruit I always found to be disgusting.

I remember thinking their bathtub with the whirlpool jets made it feel like I was a rich person in a jacuzzi.

I also remember going to my Granny’s house.  I remember the oatmeal cream pies she kept in the drawer in the fridge, and the country-fried steak she always made for dinner.

I remember hours around her glass kitchen table, playing yahtzee and uno and crazy eights while Sarah Bearnheart watched.

I remember the closet in the guest bedroom, full of toys.  I remember the perfect vacuum lines in her carpet, and the way they quickly disappeared and were replaced with our footprints.

I remember the picture of my dad she had sitting on an easel in her bedroom.

I remember the shower cap she always had hanging by her shower so that her hair wouldn’t get messed up.

I remember trips to Myrtle Waves, Maze Mania, and innumerable games of putt-putt.

My siblings and I were fortunate enough to have incredible grandparents.  They sprinkled my childhood with laughter, and sunshine, and memories that will always be with me.

And I’m confident that my sweet Cameron Kate will have the same kind of memories when she’s my age.

She has a Bammy, and a Digby – a Grammy, and a Papa – and a Meme, and a Ging Ging… all of whom love her dearly and light up when they see her, just like I do.  I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to think about the kind of memories she’ll make as she grows up in the arms of her grandparents.

To Bammy and Digby, Grammy and PaPa, and Meme and Ging Ging – I’m so lucky to have you in our lives.  Thank you, already – for loving her, and for giving her your hearts… please know that you already have hers. J
Digby & Bammy
 Grammy & PaPa
Ging Ging & Meme

No comments:

Post a Comment