Monday, January 2, 2012

A Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and a Sick Baby


My hub has never been a fan of poop.

         But then, I guess, who really is?

What I mean is, he’s a little more queasy when it comes to all things #2.  Me?  Well, poop has never really bothered me.  I can change the dirtiest of dirty diapers without batting an eye.  What’s my thing?  Snot.  Boogers.  Just typing those words gets to me.

So when hub and I found out we were going to have a baby, we made a deal.  I would handle the dirtiest diapers if he would take control of all boogers.

Well, that deal never really came to fruition.  He has been a champ and never complained about a single diaper, and I have to say that my disgust of boogers quickly changed… I now feel quite triumphant if I get out a good one with the aspirator.  (Any mom who has had an infant knows just what I’m talking about.)

And that’s basically all I’ve done over the past few days.  Celebrated triumphant removal of boogies.

         Yep, that’s right, our baby girl is s-i-c-k.

But before we get to that, I must go back to the past couple weeks.  I’ve been distracted from writing with not just a pitiful baby, but also some wonderful times with family celebrating the holidays.

We started our holiday travels by figuring out how the heck to fit everything in the car when packing for a week with an infant.  You’d think that because babies are small, it wouldn’t take much.  Yeah right.  On top of me packing entirely too much, we also had to cart around Christmas presents and two different kinds of strollers and every baby contraption we own.  I must say I was very impressed with how hub was able to pack the car.  But it’s time for a bigger car, that’s for sure.

We began by heading to visit hub’s mom and stepdad along with my sister-in-law, her husband, and one of our nephews.  We had an awesome time celebrating Christmas and seeing everyone!!  We then headed to the see the hub’s dad and stepmom to have more Christmas fun.  It was so nice to be able to see Cameron Kate with her cousins – I can’t wait until she’s old enough to actually interact!

We finally headed to my hometown to visit – well – my entire family.  My parents’ house was filled with 14 people, and it was exactly the kind of love-filled chaos that I was so excited about.  Even my 38-week pregnant sister was there, belly and all.  I got to feel my niece kicking around quite a bit - She's due to arrive in just 3 days!!!!!  Cameron is so excited to meet her new BFF she can hardly stand it.

Within all of the chaos I love being a part of at my parents' house, I found myself feeling a little bitter sweet because I realized it was probably the last time my entire family would all be together in the same place for Christmas… You see, my hub and I have always alternated holidays, but we recently decided it’s just about time to start our own traditions as our own little family, and we’ll probably start with Christmas next year.  So I tried to soak in every second with both his family and mine.  It was definitely a different feeling this year – the holidays, I mean.  Last Christmas we could only dream of having a baby, and we both wanted it so badly (though we kept our desire a secret until it came true).  And this holiday season?  I just feel so incredibly blessed.  Too blessed.  Like how in the world do I deserve this?  How do I deserve to be married to the most incredible man I know, with the sweetest baby girl in the world?  While Christmas should never be about the presents under the tree, we’re all guilty of getting wrapped up in the wrapping papered boxes.  But this year, I truly felt like I was focused on the joy of loving my sweet C more than life itself.  This Christmas, me and my hub’s tenth Christmas together, is one I will cherish forever.  And I know it will only get better from here. J

Once we settled in back at home after a week o’ holiday travels, we quickly realized that we were all sick.  Hub and I both had a cold, and our girl was a little stuffy.  Thus began the battle – me and the aspirator vs. the boogies.  Unfortunately, the boogies are winning.  Her stuffy nose quickly turned into constant congestion and a terrible cough.  Cameron Kate is pitiful, and it’s been a long, rough, emotional, exhausting few days.  Having a sick baby is the pits – seeing her so helpless, coughing to the point of bug-eyedness and choking, her constantly crying...  She is such a good, happy, easy-going baby that it’s hard to see her so miserable.  Her tears have definitely brought on my tears… And I know I’m being ridiculous, but seeing my first baby go through her first substantial illness is tough!  So tough that my sleepless nights are causing my cold to set up shop in my head and chest.  I only realize how sick I feel once C finally settles in for a nap and I try to find a moment to breathe.

We finally took her to the doctor today because her cough kept ME up all night and it was starting to scare me.  Apparently RSV is going around these parts, but she isn’t quite showing signs of that.  (Fingers crossed!)  So we’re supposed to pay close attention to her breathing and see how this cough progresses – I really, really hope it’s only a nasty cold.

And let me tell you, when it’s your own daughter’s boogers, you could care less.  As a matter of fact, like I said before, I now see them and think, “Yes!  I got it!” rather than “Gross!”  My how things have changed.

What’s also changing?  Our sweet girl.  She’s recently found her voice, making all kinds of new noises.  Cooing, squealing, and I swear she’s thisclose to laughing!  I can’t WAIT!!!

She gives me SO much to look forward to – so despite being exhausted and sick and asleep until 11:57pm on New Year’s Eve (when hub woke me up so we could be in the air when the ball dropped – that’s our tradition – and of course, smooch) – I am thrilled to see what all 2012 has in store for us.  I love seeing the world through Cameron's point-of-view and know that this year will be full of adventures for the Peele family.

         I, myself, have three resolutions.

1.    Not to sweat the small stuff.
2.    Be more spontaneous.
3.    Not take a moment for granted as a wife and a mom.

So here's a picture dump from the holidays... Happy New Year, and prayers that our little girl gets well soon!
 Sisters!
Heading out for the holidays!
 Aunt Beth!
 Meeting Uncle Cory!
 Hub's mom, "Meme," and the cousins
 Rocking with PaPa
 Burns and Cameron Kate
 Love her :)
 Meeting G Gram!
 Aunt Whit
 Banks, his pregnant mama, and my soon-to-be-born niece
 Uncle Dame bringing out smiles
 Headed to Christmas Eve candlelight service
 Uncle Randy
 Christmas morning
 In awe
 Dad and Daughter
 :)
 Digby, Bammy, and CK
Aunt Linds and Cameron's future BFF!
 Naked baby!!
 Bammy and her grandkids
My perfect little gift
 Finally meeting Aunt Lauren!
 She is obsessed with her kick piano!
 And she LOVES "bathies" with Dad!
Cheering on the Deacs!

No comments:

Post a Comment