Tuesday, July 9, 2019

BLOMPS Beach Trip 2019

You know that feeling you get when you're about to be part of something that is guaranteed to be full of memories, moments of the best kind of happiness, times when you'll be taking so many mental snapshots because it's all just so good.

That was this year's BLOMPS beach week... and on the drive there I was filled with joyful anticipation, knowing there would be smiles and laughter and beautiful chaos and I just couldn't wait to see what kind of memories we'd drive home with...

We've been taking this treasured trip for years and years, and this one was -- by far -- the absolute best trip yet.  There were 25 people (the majority who are under the age of ten) in one house on Topsail Island.  And the entire week fed my soul far beyond what I had hoped for...

I tried very hard to disconnect from my daily reality as much as possible, and it felt so, so good.  Just as my "word" of 2019 in intentionality, I wanted to be more intentional on this beach trip than I'd ever been before.  I broke up with social media for the week, often not even knowing where my phone was (or letting it die on purpose).  I soaked in my 7-, 4-, and 2-year-olds because I knew this was the only time in my life I would ever be at the beach with my 7-, 4-, and 2-year-old.  I tried to be purposeful in how I spent time with my nieces and nephews, in my conversations with my incredible siblings, in my moments with my parents... and I felt so lucky to have J be there for part of the week, too, to get his true first taste of what BLOMPS is all about... and also so the BLOMPS could get a true taste of what my J is all about. <3


We soaked in every minute on the beach that we possibly could... splashing and swimming and jumping waves and flying kites and building sand castles and finding shark teeth and playing beach sports and having races and eating slushies from the passing truck and drone fishing (our drone even snapped some pics!)...

When we weren't at the beach, we were splashing in our own, backyard, oceanfront pool!

And when we needed some down time inside, there were board games and 499/500 pieces of a puzzle put together and snuggles and karaoke and even the cousins putting on a "show" for us grown-ups...

One of the highlights of the trip?  The kids found a treasure map and followed it to find buried treasure!!  Their faces and excitement were priceless.  A huge thanks to J... have I mentioned how amazing he is?


One day we needed a little beach break, so we broke out of the BLOMPS compound for some (hot!) putt-putt and the cutest ice cream shop...



This is the first time we've been on our trip for the 4th of July!  That day at the beach was SO fun, all day long.  And then that evening we ordered steampots full of the best seafood and watched beachfront fireworks.  Everette was my only kiddo who would stir from his sleep to watch the fireworks with me!


My girl and I had our annual evening beach walk, one of my most special memories of the entire week.  Our conversation that night - wow.  It left me breathless at times, and I will forever keep it in my heart, between her and me.
And each night, after the mini-BLOMPS went to bed, us adults would gather on the beach or around the fire pit talking and laughing, laughing and talking...


When it comes to family, I hit the jackpot.  And I will never, ever take that for granted.

It was a week I will never forget.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment