Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lately...

*I’ve felt like our poor girl can’t catch a break.  T and I were just saying that we feel like since she had Hand, Foot, and Mouth, she’s gone from ear infection to ear infection and now – the stomach flu.  On Tuesday morning I was minutes away from leaving for work, and CK literally covered me from shoulders to feet in throw up.  I was soaked all the way down to my undergarments, no lie.  We’ve spent the days since then trying to control the other end of her body, leaving her in a diaper and wrapped in a towel.  Because the minute I put her down to try to cook her some rice (hello, BRAT diet), she blew out her diaper all over the kitchen floor AND our new rug.  Needless to say, this week has been a chaotic mess of throw up, diarrhea, laundry, trying to keep her hydrated, laundry, worrying, T and I taking turns missing work during a VERY busy work week for both of us, laundry, me hobbling around on a bum ankle, laundry, worrying, calls to the doctor, cartoons, and laundry.  BUT within all the turmoil I have CHERISHED the extra hugs, cuddles, and chest naps with my girl who’s usually way too busy to be bothered with snuggling.

Stomach bug survival kid:  bib, diaper, stuffed dog.
A rare and awesome moment
*I’ve been working on putting together a surprise for someone…

*I’ve packed away ALL of the Dr. Browns – we’re officially done with bottles!!!  I have to say it was bittersweet.  Where did my baby go?!

*Speaking of being done with bottles, we’re also ALMOST done with weaning!  Cameron nurses once a day, in the morning.  It’s always been her favorite and most-needed nursing session.  I’m having a hard time figuring out when to drop it.  I definitely want to wait until she’s all the way recovered from the Norovirus and ear infection.  I’m just not sure when it’ll feel right to officially pull the plug…

*Because I’m no longer nursing at night, Cameron Kate’s bedtime routine has obviously changed.  T insisted that he still gets to be the one to do bath, but I still wanted some alone time.  So, after he does bath and jammies, I go in and my little girl and I read a book or two, then I tell her a made-up, “Once upon a time…” story, then I sing our songs and wait for T to come in to do prayers.  Those ten minutes are the absolute best part of my day.

*I’ve been getting SO excited about the upcoming arrival of my new nephew, Smith!!!  I can’t wait to meet him and watch him find his place in our awesome family.

*T and I started watching Parenthood, starting with season one, on Netflix.  I’m already addicted, he’s not so sure yet…

*I can’t wait to dress CK up in her Halloween costume!

*I am obsessed with sugar cookie dough.  There may or may not have been a package I ended up not using for Cameron’s party in my fridge.  And I may or may not eat a sliver or three almost every night.  May or may not.

*My daughter, on the other hand, is obsessed with shoes.  There is a crate of shoes in her closet, and she LOVES to go pull out shoes, bring them to you, put them in your hand, sit in your lap, and throw an absolute terrible twos ones tantrum until you put them on her feet.  Even if they are mismatched.  I think we’re in for it.

*I think I’m liking the new Taylor Swift cd.  Yes, I have the music taste of a thirteen-year-old.  Don’t judge.

*I’ve been a little bummed out about the lack of Halloween/fall décor around my house.  Ok, so maybe the only décor is the pumpkin sitting on our front stoop.  I really had full intentions of going all Esty-Pinterest-crazy this year… but then, well, life happened.  I screwed up my ankle.  Cameron’s been a mess of sick.  So I guess I’ll just have to settle for the pumpkin.

*Speaking of pumpkin, before the stomach bug wreaked havoc on our sweet girl, we had the BEST time at a local park doing a hayride and pumpkin patch visit!  I knew CK would love it, because she loves doing anything outside.  And I have to say, it’s little things like this that make life so incredible…  reliving my life all over again in a brand new way through the eyes of the most incredible girl I’ve ever known – but I won’t go any deeper than that, because this is supposed to be a “lately” “randoms” post and there’s no room for sentimental tidbits.







*I miss running.  I can feel it in my bones, the absence of pushing myself and sweating and getting out of breath.  The good news is that my ankle is, slowly but surely, feeling better.  My goal is to be out of the fracture boot in the next week or two, then hopefully I’ll be walking, then maybe back to running by the end of November.  I was supposed to start therapy this week, but – well – then Cameron threw up all over me and pretty much all of my plans for the week went down the drain.

*We’re headed to the ENT in a couple weeks to decide if CK needs tubes in her ears.  I know I need to wait and see what the doctor even recommends, but I’m torn on whether or not I think she’ll grow out of the ear infections or if tubes could really improve her health and overall happiness.  The thought of anesthesia for my little girl, no matter how minor the procedure is, terrifies me.  Truth is, though, she’s had a hell of a time with both ear infections and finding a medicine that works for her.

*I’ve been too sad to take down the birthday banner hanging in our kitchen from Cameron’s party, which was two weeks ago.  I feel like if I take it down, her birthday is officially over.  Kind of like how I refuse to fill out the 1-year page in her baby book, because I’ve filled one out every month, and after the 1-year page, you don’t fill it out again until age 2…

*I’ve been realizing just how incredible it is to have family and friends who will literally drop what they’re doing to be there for you in the blink of an eye.  You know who you are.  Thank you, and I love you!

*One of CK’s favorite words right now is “eyes.”  She LOVES to point to eyes in a book, on a stuffed animal, or even dig her little fingers into your lids and say, “eyes.”

*Having my breastfeeding journey come to an end while simultaneously snapping my ankle and prohibiting myself from running have not been appreciated in terms of my caloric intake.  You see, when you’re breastfeeding, you can basically eat for two.  Add running in the mix, and I've been eating like every meal/snack is the last meal/snack I’m ever going to have in my life.  And then BAM.  My body doesn’t need those calories anymore – but oh my taste buds do!  Hello, lbs.

*Tonight, my college football team and my hub’s favorite team are playing each other.  Needless to say, it was a house divided.  Cameron had to stay home from school today since she’s still recovering, and T and I split the day.  When I got home around lunchtime, she was wearing the wrong colors.  So I fixed it.

*I’ve been trying to brainstorm ways to restructure our lives so as to make things better for Cameron Kate, T, and me.  Prayers for ideas and peace with what the future holds would be appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment