Sunday, July 24, 2011

3rd Trimester, a Newborn, and a Sledgehammer


So depending on which pregnancy book you read, there are different opinions on when the third trimester officially starts.  However, now that I’m at the end of Week 28, I am DEFINITELY considered to be 2/3 of the way through… WOOHOO!  So, so exciting.  While it still feels like we have a ways to go, I can’t help but start to feel a little panicked that we’re not going to have time to get everything purchased and ready for Baby Peele!  And the surprising arrival of our friends’ baby didn’t help my sense of urgency. J

Sweet Baby Smith definitely had his own agenda and decided to come about three and a half weeks early!  Our dear friends Ben and Sabrina have been featured periodically throughout this blog.  In fact, I just posted a picture of Sabrina and me with our bumps together at her baby shower a couple weeks ago.  We were exactly 8 weeks apart.  Well, on Friday night/Saturday morning at about 3:45am, I got a text from Ben that said, “Water broke.  At hospital now.”  It took me a minute to come out of my sleepy haze and realize that OmigoshSabrinaIsInLabor.  I nudged my hub to tell him and we decided to go back to sleep.  I just kept thinking, she’ll have the baby sometime tomorrow late afternoon.  After all, doesn’t everyone talk about being in labor for like a million hours?

Well, not Sabrina, because she is apparently Super Woman.  Here’s the story.  Her water broke when she got up to use the restroom in the middle of the night.  After her hub Googled “water breaking” to make sure that her water had, in fact, broken (he wasn’t quite sure he believed her), she started contracting.  They took their time, taking showers, packing up a hospital bag, etc.  He then realized that her contractions seemed to be coming pretty close together, so he timed them.  TWO MINUTES APART.  He didn’t want to alarm her, so he just nonchalantly said that they should probably get going.  He booked it to the hospital, and by the time they got there, she was SEVEN CENTIMETER DILATED.  The nurse decided to check Sabrina, and said, “Hey, Ben, come look, you can see your baby’s head.”  Well, all he could think about was the fact that she was just sitting in his jeep!  And now, with her feet in the stirrups, Baby Smith’s head was visible to all who cared to look!!

Long story short, she got her epidural, pushed about 10 times, and George Braiden Smith arrived at 7:00am on the dot.  6 lbs, 11 oz, and 19 inches of perfect newborn preciousness.

The proud daddy and his son!

We drove to meet the sweet newborn on Saturday morning as soon as we realized that he’d made his debut a little quicker than we expected.  My hub was so, so sweet with him and said, “It just makes me so excited to have my own.”  Oh how I love him!

The hub and me loving on George Braiden!

Look at his sweet face!

Truth is, I feel the same way.  Seeing Ben and Sabrina with sweet George Braiden got me so incredibly excited to be in their position.  The other truth is, it also scared the crap out of me to think that Baby Peele might come earlier than his/her due date.  Will we be ready?  Will we have everything we need off of our registry?  Will I have washed all of the clothes and blankets in the newborn detergent?  Will our hospital bag be packed?

However, when I think back to the new family of three in the hospital, I don’t think Ben and Sabrina could have cared less about whether or not everything is 100% ready and in tip top shape for their little one.  And I have a feeling that if our bug decides to make his/her debut early, all we’ll care about is having a healthy baby.

Don’t get me wrong, though – As soon as we got back home on Saturday, we hightailed it to the nursery and hung shelves, put up the art over the crib, got the mattress at the right level, and assembled the swing, car seat, diaper genie, and stroller.  ‘Nuff said.

In less exciting news, it feels like someone took a sledgehammer to my lower back and pelvis.  No really – I woke up this morning feeling like I’d been repeatedly hit in the back and pelvis bone.  Maybe it’s because sweet Baby Peele now LOVES to face my back with his/her butt/body out, kicking and punching my tailbone and pushing back against my tummy (over the past few days, all kicks/punches have been much more internal).  Also, the fact that we were on the go all day yesterday and again today probably doesn’t help, but I can’t stop – my brain is in OVERDRIVE!  My body wants to slow down, but my brain is constantly thinking of things to do, things to clean, things to organize.  Here’s to hoping my body and brain find a way to compromise sometime soon!

By the way, I passed my one hour glucose test!!!  And our appointment was great.  And my doctor is fantastic, because he agreed to let us come back for a quick appointment this Friday before we head to the beach for a week.  Yippee for getting to hear the bug’s heartbeat!

Also, tomorrow is my LAST NIGHT of grad school!!!!!!!!  While I’m still waiting on some final grades, I never thought this day would come and I am so excited to have the past two years behind me!!!!!!!!!

And, as I just wrote, we head to the beach on Saturday for a whole week!!!!!!!!

Can you tell I’m excited about some things?

Mostly, I’m excited about becoming a family of three in less than two and a half months! J

28 Weeks!
Third Tri Bump!

No comments:

Post a Comment